When I teach the kids about Earth day, we always talk about what it means (being kind to the Earth) and how we can do that. Should we only care and think about the Earth one day of the year? NO! of course not. But the Earth deserves a celebration and recognition day too. Now more then ever it is important to teach this generation what it really means to care for our mama Earth. This is always a fun and very important lesson for kids of all ages.
Hooray! It’s Earth Day! (Pre-k – K)
1) Flower Breath – Place your open palms on your knees. As you inhale, close the petals and touch fingers together, as you exhale, open petals. Repeat at least 3x.
2) Seed to a Tree – We turn our bodies into seeds, shovel a hole and plant ourselves! I cover with soil, water and sunshine to let these seeds grow into beautiful flowers.
3) Flower Pose – Bring feet to touch, slide hands under the inside of knees and lift up feet, balancing on your bottom. Wiggle fingers and toes as if they are your flower petals. What kind or color flower are you?
4) Butterfly Pose – Butterflies love our flowers! We sing the butterfly song “fly like a butterfly, fly like a butterfly, fly like a butterfly in the sky!”
5) Bee Pose – The bees love the flowers too- and they help to bring pollen to other flowers which helps grow more flowers! They also drink nectar and make honey. We LOVE the bees and need them. That is why planting flowers that bees love is so important.
6) Sun Stretch – What does the sun do for us? This is the perfect time to warm your body with the sun and teach the kids what “solar power” is. We can actually use the sun for energy! How cool.
7) Windmill Pose – Another form of energy we can use from the earth is Wind Energy! Let’s create our own wind with the windmill pose. We swing our arms side to side and create the wind that can help create energy to power all kinds of things!
8) Toe-ga – What else can we do to be kind to the Earth? We can throw our trash away, recycle, keep our oceans, lakes, rivers clean and pick up trash when we see it! We use our toes to pick up the balls and pretend like we are picking up trash.
9) Candle Pose – Let’s use our candle to celebrate the Earth!
10) Relaxation – As we relax, we think about all the places we love to relax on our Earth- maybe its the mountains, or at the beach, or in a park, or in your own backyard. Think about breathing in clean air, as you inhale and exhale and relax on our beautiful Earth.
You can read the Earth BooK by Todd Parr (one of my favorites!)